Vegan Hot Cross Buns
Get them while they’re HOT HOT HOT !
SERVES: 12 BUNS
COOK TIME: 40 MINS
RASPBERRY AND SPICE PACKED VEGAN HOT CROSS BUN PERFECTION COMING AT YA!
Nothing says Easter like HOT HOT CROSS BUNS coming out of the oven, the smell of fresh bread, spices and dried fruit will put a smile in anyone’s face. These aren’t just any hot cross buns they’re vegan-friendly and don’t require any special or fancy equipment to make.
SHARE THIS RECIPE!
- 1 Tablespoon Active Dry Yeast
- ½ Cups 110g Caster (Superfine) Sugar
- 1½ Cups 375ml lukewarm milk Almond or Hemp
- 4¼ Cups 635g plain (all-purpose) flour, sifted
- 2 Teaspoons Allspice
- 2 Teaspoons Ground cinnamon
- 1 Lemon Rind
- 1 Orange Rind
- 1 Vanilla Bean
- ⅓ Cup Olive Oil
- 2 Cups 240g dried fruit
- ½ Cups 75g plain (All-purpose) flour, extra
- ⅓ Cup 80ml water
- ½ Cup Marmalade or Berry Jam
- Place the yeast, 2 teaspoons sugar and the milk in a large bowl and set aside for 5 minutes. The mixture will start to foam. Add the flour, allspice, cinnamon, vanilla bean, lemon rind, orange rind, olive oil, dried fruit and remaining sugar to the yeast mixture and mix until a sticky dough forms.
- Knead the dough on a lightly floured surface for 8 minutes or until elastic. Place in a lightly oiled bowl, cover with a clean, damp cloth and set aside in a warm place for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Divide the dough into 12 pieces and roll into balls. Arrange the dough balls in a lightly greased 22cm square cake tin lined with non-stick baking paper. Cover with a damp cloth and set aside in a warm place for 30 minutes or until risen. Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F).
- Place the extra flour and the water in a bowl and stir to combine. Place in a piping bag or a plastic bag with one corner snipped off, and pipe crosses on the buns. Bake for 30–35 minutes or until golden and springy to touch.
- Pull the hot crossed buns out of the oven and glaze with jam or marmalade while hot, serve with butter and eat hot.
We’d recommend making a double batch of these Easter treats so you can have leftovers and make Guys Hot Cross Bun delicious custard pudding!
Bondi Harvest recipes use a conventional fan oven, measuring at Degrees Celsius °C.
Bondi Harvest recipe measurements use the Metric system.
Hey Food Lover!
Gain access to our new weekly recipes straight to your inbox and join our exclusive Food Lovers Facebook Group!