200 g unsalted butter, (at room temperature), plus extra for greasing
200 g demerara sugar
3 large eggs
200 g ground almonds
100 g coarse polenta
1 teaspoon gluten-free baking powder
100g creme fraiche
3x cardamom pods
1x cinnamon stick
300ml orange juice
140g caster sugar
- Preheat the oven to 160°C/320°F, Grease a 20cm cake tin, line the bottom and sides with greaseproof paper and grease again.
- Beat the butter and sugar in a large bowl until light and creamy, Beat in the eggs, one by one.
- In a small bowl, combine the ground almonds, polenta, orange zest, and baking powder, then stir this into the cake mix.
- Pour the mixture into the tin and bake for 40 to 50 minutes, or until the surface is light brown and the cake is coming away slightly from the sides of the tin.
- Remove the tin from the oven, leave to cool for 10 minutes, then turn it out onto a plate. This cake will be quite fragile, so handle carefully as you remove it.
- To make the syrup, crush the cardamom pods, then put all of the ingredients in a saucepan. Simmer over medium-low heat for about 10 minutes, or until reduced and thickened slightly. Set aside to cool.
- Prick the cake all over with a skewer, then brush generously with the syrup.
- Serve with creme Fraiche or yogurt
Bondi Harvest recipes use a conventional fan oven, measuring at Degrees Celsius °C.
Bondi Harvest recipe measurements use the Metric system.
Hey Food Lover!
Gain access to our new weekly recipes straight to your inbox and join our exclusive Food Lovers Facebook Group!