Salt Crusted Baked Barramundi
Whole-baked Fish On Christmas Day
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MINUTES
An Aussie Christmas you need barramundi on the menu and we’ve got the best damn whole-baked fish recipe you could prepare for your crew.
The barramundi is baked in a hard crust of salt and herbs bound by egg whites to infuse the fish while keeping the flesh nice and juicy. Serve the barra with bitter greens and segments of orange with a wedge of lemon. Fish perfection on Christmas Day.
Salt Crusted Barramundi
- 800g -1kg Barramundi cleaned
5 cups medium – fine sea salt
- 2 Large Egg Whites
- 1/4 cup Water
- 1 tspn Coriander Seeds toasted & crushed
- 1 tspn Fennel Seeds toasted & crushed
- 1 tspn Black Pepper Crushed
- 1 Lemon rind + sliced
- ⅓ cup Watercress cleaned and washed
- 1/3 cup Fennel shaved
- 1/4 cup Flat Leaf Parsley
- 6 Orange segments
- 1/3 cup Olive Oil
- Position rack in center of oven; preheat to 450°F / 230°D
- Prepare salt crust my mixing salt, egg whites and water in a bowl until combined evenly.
- Make fish seasoning by combining coriander seed, fennel seed, black pepper, lemon rind and sea salt together in a bowl (store in an airtight container).
- To prepare the Barramundi, season fish cavity and flesh thoroughly then stuff the cavity with lemon slices, rosemary, and thyme.
- Spread 2 cups salt mixture in 4-inch-wide, 12-inch-long strip (or use more to equal length of fish) on prepared sheet. Place fish on salt. Cover fish completely in remaining salt mixture, pressing to seal. (this can be done ahead of serve and stored in the fridge or out at room temperature ready for service). Bake Barramundi for 25 minutes.
- While the barramundi is baking make the fennel salad by mixing fennel, watercress, parsley and orange segments in a bowl. Dress with olive oil and lemon.
- Using large knife or mallet, tap the crust to crack it open, remove the top layer of salt then using a pastry brush brush the fish free of any excess salt.
Bondi Harvest recipes use a conventional fan oven, measuring at Degrees Celsius °C.
Bondi Harvest recipe measurements use the Metric system.
Hey Food Lover!
Gain access to our new weekly recipes straight to your inbox and join our exclusive Food Lovers Facebook Group!