- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 star anise
- 1 black peppercorn
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 clove
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 250 g 9 oz salt
- 250 g 9 oz sugar
- finely grated zest of 1 orange
- 2 cups smoking woodchips soaked in water for 30 minutes
- 1.5 kg salmon fillet skin on
- 250 ml 9 fl oz/1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 cucumber cut into 1 cm (. inch) dice
- 2 baby cos romaine lettuces
- 3 avocados chopped
- 1 bunch mint leaves picked
- 1 bunch parsley leaves picked
- 6 lemon wedges
- Preheat oven to 175C (340F).
- To make the curing mix, place the spices onto a baking tray and bake in the oven for 10 minutes, until toasted and fragrant. Use a mortar and pestle or food processor to grind the spices to a coarse mixture. Combine the spice mixture with the salt, sugar and orange zest.
- To hot-smoke the salmon, drain the soaked woodchips and place them in the base of a smoker. Spread 1 cup of the curing mix over the skinless side of the salmon, and place skin side down on the rack above the woodchips.
- Heat the smoker on high heat for about 5 minutes, until it begins to smoke. Reduce the heat to low and smoke the salmon for 30 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and rest the salmon for 3–5 minutes before eating. For the salad, mix the vinegar and honey in a bowl.
- Add the cucumber and leave for 10 minutes, to pickle. Separate the lettuce into whole leaves to use as cups and place onto a serving board with the avocado, herbs and lemon wedges. Serve whole salmon on a board or still in smoking tray. Pull off chunks of salmon and serve in lettuce cups with cucumber, herbs, avocado and lemon.
- 25cm pan with lid
- Chopping board
- Camp suitcase stove
*We were not paid to feature Infiniti in this video. We were invited to a 4×4 driving day to test drive the vehicle. The inclusion into this video was our choice.
Bondi Harvest recipes use a conventional fan oven, measuring at Degrees Celsius °C.
Bondi Harvest recipe measurements use the Metric system.
Hey Food Lover!
Gain access to our new weekly recipes straight to your inbox and join our exclusive Food Lovers Facebook Group!