Harissa Baked Chicken | One Pot
What is Harissa ?
Harissa is a North African chile paste, spice rub, or sauce made of simple ingredients. The basis of this spice mix is chiles, garlic, olive oil, citrus, and a few hearty spices.
Harissa is so versatile and can be used on veggies, seafood, and most cuts of meat, It is slightly sweet, smoky, tangy, and has just enough spicy to keep things interesting
It’s also been described harissa as the ketchup or sriracha of North Africa and the Middle East.
Where is Harissa from ?
Originally Harissa is said to be from Tunisia ! harissa is a chile paste typically made of dry hot red chiles, garlic, citrus, olive oil and a few few hearty spices including cumin, coriander and caraway seeds.
How long does Harissa last in the fridge ?
Harissa paste will last in your fridge around one month, just warning you once you get into using this stuff, you won’t be able to stop!
How To Make Harissa
- 2 x charred red bell peppers
- 6 peeled garlic cloves
- 1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes drained (include the juice for a more saucy consistency)
- 2 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 2 x fresh red chillies I used Serenade peppers but jalapenos will also work
- 1.5 x fresh red bird’s eye chilli
- 5-6 tablespoons olive oil
- salt & black pepper to taste
for the spice mix
- 2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 2 teaspoons coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoons dried chilli flakes
- Toast all the spices over medium heat in a pan until fragrant.
- Grind in a pestle & mortar or spice blender until fine then set aside.
- In a blender/food processor, combine all the remaining ingredients along with the spices then blend well until you have a brick-red, vibrant paste. Season to taste then transfer to jars.
SHARE THIS RECIPE!
1 cup mild harissa paste
1 whole chicken
1 onion diced
2 cloves garlic, sliced
2 chili’s, sliced
Dried mushrooms, rehydrated
1 bunch Parsley
1 bunch Thyme
1 Tin tomatoes
1 Tin chickpeas
Preheat oven to 180 degrees
In a heavy baked pot with a little olive oil, color your whole chicken skin side down until golden (5 minutes)
Remove your chicken then add your prepared veggies and cook until tender (10 minutes) add your diced tomatoes, chickpeas, stock and mushrooms then re-add your whole chicken shin side up on top of your veggies.
Top the chicken with harissa paste then bake in the oven at 180 for 2-3 hours until tender and falling off the bone.
Refer to the video for more instructions
Dukkah Focaccia with goats cheese
Dukkah Focaccia with goats cheese SERVES: [...]
How To Make Healthy Vegan Sausage Roll Recipe
How To Make Healthy Vegan Sausage Roll Recipe Everyone [...]
Cacio E Pepe Pasta Recipe
Cacio E Pepe (Cacio Pepper) Pasta Recipe How To [...]
Hey Food Lover!
Gain access to our new weekly recipes straight to your inbox and join our exclusive Food Lovers Facebook Group!