Grape Fruit salad with pickled avocado
SHARE THIS RECIPE!
1 cup apple cider vinegar
1 cup water
½ cup brown sugar
1 tbsp sea salt
2 black peppercorns
½ garlic clove
A pinch of dried chili flakes
2 firm Avocados
10 spears of asparagus, sliced in half on an angle
1x 250g halloumi cheese, sliced into ½ cm slithers
2 grapefruits, segmented
½ cup mint leaves
1 tbsp walnuts, toasted
Extra Virgin Olive oil
- To make pickled avocado: Place vinegar, water, sugar, salt, chili and garlic into a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer, ensuring the sugar and salt has dissolved completely, then remove saucepan from the heat and let cool to room temperature before chilling for 5 minutes in the fridge.
- Prepare the firm avocados. Peel and pit, then cut into large slices and place into a sterilised 18-ounce or lager jar.
- Top with cooled pickling liquid, making sure the avocado is completely covered. Note: if you need to top it up, just add extra apple cider vinegar.
- Refrigerate until you are ready to use (your avocado will last at least two weeks in the fridge).
- To make the salad: On a hot griddle or pan add your washed and dried asparagus spears directly on to heat with no oil. Cook for 2-3 minutes until charred and tender. (Cooking your asparagus dry on a higher heat gives them a delicious smokey flavour.) On the same griddle, add 1 tsp of extra virgin olive oil, then carefully add your halloumi and cook for 1-2 minutes each side, until golden brown.
- In a large mixing bowl, add grilled halloumi, asparagus, mint leaves, walnuts and grapefruit segments. Dress with extra virgin olive oil and a generous amount of black pepper.
- To serve, arrange pickled avocado on a plate then delicately top with asparagus salad.
Bondi Harvest recipes use a conventional fan oven, measuring at Degrees Celsius °C.
Bondi Harvest recipe measurements use the Metric system.
Hey Food Lover!
Gain access to our new weekly recipes straight to your inbox and join our exclusive Food Lovers Facebook Group!