Coconut Kefir Bircher and Blueberry Ginger Syrup by Liv Kaplan
GUT LOVIN’, GRAB’N GO BREKKIE BIRCHER
PREP TIME: 10 MINS
COOK TIME: 15 MINS
Traditionally made with oats, we’ve decided to flip the traditional bircher on its head by using a combination of nutritious hemp seeds and chia seeds. We’ve also soaked it in coconut kefir which is basically a cultured coconut milk, making it filled with probiotics and giving it a deliciously creamy and sour flavor. This recipe is perfect for brekkie as it’s really low in sugar and is rather naturally sweetened with this easy sugar-free Blueberry Ginger Syrup. Cooking the blueberries in this way allows their natural sweetness and jammy texture to come out. Blueberries are one of the best fruits you can eat, they are low in sugar and packed full of antioxidants and cancer-fighting compounds.
Tip: Make this in a double or triple batch and store in the fridge for an easy grab and go breakfast. The blueberry syrup is also a great thing to have in the fridge to use as jam, on porridge, on toast, in yoghurt or to dollop on top of our 2 Ingredient Cashew Cookies!
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 3 tbsp hemp seeds
- ½ cup coconut kefir
- ½ cup almond milk or milk of choice
- ½ apple, grated (optional)
- Blueberry Ginger Syrup
- 2 cup blueberries, frozen
- 1 tbsp ginger, fresh, roughly sliced
- To Serve: Fruit of your choice and A dollop of nut butter
- Prepare the bircher by combining all ingredients in a bowl or jar and place in the fridge to set overnight.
- To prepare the blueberry syrup, place the blueberries and a tiny splash of water in a small pot over a medium heat. Place the lid on and leave to cook. After a few of minutes throw in the ginger and cinnamon and leave to cook, uncovered for a further 15 minutes until sticky and fragrant. Leave to cool then place in a jar and store in the fridge.
- To serve, top the bircher with a good dollop of the blueberry ginger syrup and sprinkle of your favorite nuts, seeds, fruit and a little coconut.
Hey Food Lover!
Gain access to our new weekly recipes straight to your inbox and join our exclusive Food Lovers Facebook Group!